Practical tips and DIY remedies for acne

Let’s face it, acne affects us all.

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 4.35.34 PM
PRACTICAL TIPS

Let’s admit it, we all struggle with acne at times. Everyone deals with breakouts differently, but to treat them correctly and effectively, it’s best to know what causes acne and what type of skin and acne you have.

Acne is caused when hair follicles clog with dirt or oil. Different types of skin can effect the severity of a person’s acne and how they should treat it.

The three types of skin are oily, dry and a combination of both. Skin can also be considered sensitive, or easily irritated by products.

According to Marie Claire Magazine, it is best to wash dry or sensitive skin just once daily. If you wash your face too often, important oils will be stripped. For normal skin, it’s best to wash twice a day, in the morning and at night. Those with oily skin should wash face once daily and after any workouts.

If you’re not sure what to wash your face with, look for a face wash that contains no parabens, fragrances or, soaps.

People with acne-prone skin should look for a face wash that contains salicylic acid, a medication that helps clear acne.

No matter what type of skin you have, be sure to be gentle. Scrubbing too hard or cleansing skin to much can irritate the skin and wash away all the good oils, making acne worse.

Many other things can cause a breakout, like oily hair and cosmetic products.

Another thing that can affect acne is a person’s diet. “Studies indicate that certain dietary factors, including dairy products and carbohydrate-rich foods – such as bread, bagels and chips, which increase blood sugar – may trigger acne,” according to the Mayo Clinic.

Remove makeup before washing your face to prevent it from spreading oil and dirt. Also remove makeup before going to sleep at night.

Acne can leave scaring so it should always be treated properly. To prevent acne scars never pop, scratch or pick at acne.

If your acne persists, remember that it is always best to visit a good dermatologist.

DIY REMEDIES

People go to extreme measures to cure acne. Some myths or home remedies may seem crazy, but there are reasons why they may work. These remedies cannot be scientifically or medically proven to work for the treatment of acne, but acne fighting ingredients are found in all of them.

Ever heard of putting toothpaste on pimples? This can actually work. Since acne is caused by oil clogging the skin, the toothpaste dries up the oil and  causes a reduced appearance of a breakout. If this seems like a good solution to you, be sure to choose a toothpaste that is all white in color and contains baking soda. Clear blue or green toothpastes don’t have the necessary ingredients to dry out acne.

Another remedy some people use is crushing tomatoes and using them as a face mask. Tomatoes are very high in acidity and the acid dries out acne. Vitamins and lycopene, naturally found in tomatoes, are commonly used in many acne medications.

Another growing trend to cure acne is using tea tree oil on the face.  According to New York Times, tea tree oil, “has been shown to have both antibacterial and cosmetic properties.”